What is Design for Change

What’s up guys, Dalva here.

I know that a lot of you have been SUPER curious about Design for Change,  what is it? why is it important? How do you fix a tape dispenser? Finish this blog and you will know what Design for Change is and what you can learn from fixing a tape dispenser, let’s go.

Design for Change (D4C) is the coolest, raddest, newest class to come to FIS and it totally lives up to the hype! (or lack thereof ). If you love fixing tape dispensers and making them juuust right so that Mr Neal doesn’t have to deal with glue on his desks. Or solving the worldwide problem of plastic accumulation by taking pictures of ourselves wearing bike helmets.

(Good job Mr. Neal! That will fix everything.)

Then D4C is the class for you! It is so much more than a normal design course not that I’ve taken any others we don’t just design to solve a problem we Design for Change!

And now… the boring part What I learned from fixing a tape dispenser

the problem we faced was one of

Intergalactic proportions

broken tape dispensers.

For many years the tape dispensers at FIS were nearly indestructible but at the beginning of the year, FIS started buying new thinner tape dispensers made of brittle, breakable plastic. These new tape dispensers would break easily when dropped on the floor or smacked off a table. D4C is all about helping the environment around us and all of these broken tape dispensers were causing a large amount of waste so Mr. Neal decided that this would be a perfect, easy problem for us to design our first solution.

In D4C we use specific language when talking about design

and we have a specific order of doing things when designing

for example: We started fixing the with Mr. Neal about the problem. Then we asked him questions to help us Define the problem. Then we Ideated a solution. Then my group and I prototyped a solution using our design thinking bias toward action collaborate across boundaries focus on human values be mindful of process prototype toward a solution and show don’t tell. After creating a prototype using all of our design thinking we tested our prototype to see how well it worked. That is the order we do things in when solving a problem in D4C, it uses all of our design thinking language.

This might come as a shock,

But fixing a tape dispenser was not a life-changing experience for me.

If I have to point out one key thing I learned from fixing a tape dispenser in D4C I think it would be about the class much more than the tape dispenser. D4C introduces you to new methods of thinking and experimenting and creating which are hard to express in terms of a tape dispenser.

It was these new ideas that I took with me from unit one that really inspired me. It is not fixing a tape dispenser, a simple problem, but the way professionals think about solving simple problems in new creative ways that interest me. It was these new ways of thinking, that I learned about while fixing the tape dispenser which really stuck with me.

Not the problem but the process.

Dalva out-